Published 11/16/2004 10:28 AM |
Updated 03/01/2011 10:55 AM
What is Home Health Care?
Home Health Care is skilled home care provided by VA and contract agencies to veterans who are homebound with chronic diseases and includes nursing, physical/occupational therapy and social services. There are several types of home health care offered to eligible veterans by VA. Examples include:
· Homemakers for shopping, cleaning or meal preparation
· Home Health Aides for help with bathing and dressing
· Nursing assistants for bathing
· Nurses to help you with your medications and dressing changes
· Physical therapists to help you with strength and mobility exercises
· Occupational therapists to help you re-learn activities like eating, dressing, etc.
· Speech therapists to help you with re-learning to speak following surgery or a stroke.
If you and your VA provider agree that you are in need of these services, depending on your eligibility, VA may pay for the care. To find out what may be available, talk with your VA primary care provider or your VA social worker.