Advanced Search
Screen Reader users press enter to Limit by Topic.  Limit by Topic
Search Tips
Search filters applied

Am I entitled to any temporary benefits from VA if I have surgery?

Published 07/16/2004 07:29 AM   |    Updated 02/28/2011 02:30 PM
If I have major surgery, am I entitled to any benefits from VA?  How will my benefits be affected? Will there be a temporary increase? What notification will the VA require and when? How long does the temporary benefit last?
A temporary 100% rating for a period of convalescence may be awarded to a service-connected veteran following treatment for his service-connected disability. You should notify the VA when your surgery takes place. If you have medical evidence at that time, you may submit it, or, you may notify VA of the provider of treatment so that we can obtain records. After a review of all the available evidence, a decision will be make as to your entitlement to the 100% rate and the length of the convalescense period.