Advanced Search
Screen Reader users press enter to Limit by Topic.  Limit by Topic
Search Tips
Search filters applied

SGLI How Do You Change Your Beneficiary Designation?

Published 08/10/2012 04:01 PM   |    Updated 12/19/2012 03:14 PM
How Do You Change Your Beneficiary Designation?

You may, at any time, change or cancel a previous designation. To change or cancel a designation, you simply complete, sign and file a new form SGLV 8286 with your uniformed service. It is effective on the date it is received by the uniformed service.

Married Servicemembers should be aware that if they name a beneficiary other than their spouse or child their spouse will be notified by the Department of Defense that a change has been made. The only exceptions to this rule are if:

1. the spouse has already been notified of the change, and

2. the spouse was not the beneficiary in the election prior to the current beneficiary change.