The online dependent benefits application process is outlined in Steps 1-11, below. To view the screenshots associated with these steps, please review the eBenefits-VDC Help Desk Reference Guide
Note: Steps 1 - 7 have common questions for the interview process when adding a spouse or child. When entering school age child 18 - 23 years old, you will be required to provide additional information such as; School name and location, enrollment type, etc…Supporting documentation for adopted children will be required at the end of this interview process. The following steps refer to adding a child as a dependent.
1. The Veteran begins or continues their application to manage dependents
2. The Veteran updates his/her personal information
Note: If you click Edit Personal Information, you will be re-directed to the Update Personal Contact Information portlet.
3. The Veteran chooses to either update their marital status or add a new dependent child to their VA record
Tip: Once you click one of the above links, pop-up windows will appear. Ensure that your browser allows pop-ups for the eBenefits website.
4. The Veteran enters the name and relationship of the dependent
Note: In order to claim a child as a dependent with the VA, the relationship must be biological, stepchild, or adopted child.
5. The Veteran adds clarifying information to their dependent child's profile
Note: If your dependent child is a resident alien or does not have a social security number issued, check the box indicating "child does not have a social security number…"
6. The Veteran confirms that the dependent child is living with him/her
Note: If you select No, you will have to enter information about where your dependent child lives. If you select Yes, it is assumed he/she lives at your address and you only need to click Continue.
7. The Veteran confirms that the dependent child did or will attend school between the ages of 18 and 23
Note: If you identify that your child is between the ages of 18 and 23 years of age, you will be prompted to provide additional school information at this time. e.g., school name and location, enrollment type, etc…
8. The dependent child shows in the list under Children
9. The Veteran uploads any supporting documentation to validate the claim, as necessary
Note: If no supporting documentation is necessary, you can just click Done Uploading Files to proceed to the next step
10. The application is checked for errors and warnings
11. A summary of the application is presented to the Veteran for final validation
Note: Your application will now be processed and you will be notified upon completion.