What type of eBenefits account do I need to apply for Specially Adapted Housing (SAH)/ Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant benefits?
You will need a Basic eBenefits account to access the application for SAH on the eBenefits portal.
To register for a Basic account, follow these steps:
1. Go to https://www.ebenefits.va.gov.
2. Click the Register link in the upper right to access the main Registration page.
3. Follow the instructions on the page.
Note: You must be registered in DEERS to receive an eBenefits account.
What if I'm not registered in DEERS, or what if I'm not sure if I'm registered?
Enrollment in DEERS is automatic for all service members and veterans who have served since 1982. Those who served prior to 1982 are being added from VA/DoD records.
- If you find that you're not registered in DEERS or are simply not sure, call the DEERS Support Office toll-free telephone number 1-800-538-9552.
Note: The best time to call the DEERS office is between 0600 and 1500 PST.
- If you find that you're not registered in DEERS and you are in receipt of Department of Veterans Affairs monetary benefits please call 1-800-827-1000 option 7.
You can visit a VA Regional Office or TRICARE Service Center and verify your identity in person. Bring the following with you:
- A government-issued photo ID such as a driver's license, identification card, or U.S. passport (expired or unexpired)
- A secondary form of identification such as a birth certificate, social security card, or picture ID
- An original or certified copy of your DD-214
- If the addresses on your ID items don't match the address in DEERS, you'll need to bring a proof of residency. For this purpose you can bring a utility bill, phone bill, financial statement, mortgage voucher, or rent voucher.